Re: SU Problems

    Paul> Hi folks, I just installed X version 3.2 on my system this
    Paul> past few weeks.  I am having problems do things as su. ie for
    Paul> the first error message is one that I receive whenever I try
    Paul> to run an X program as su.  This error message is when I was
    Paul> trying to use xclock.  I have check xclocks permissions,
    Paul> ownership both seem to be in order. Ownership is root.root and
    Paul> the Permissions are 755.  This error happens when I try to run
    Paul> all x programs.

    Paul> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client is
    Paul> not authorized to connect to Server open display failed
    Paul> InitXWindows failed, exiting

    Paul> This error is when I try to run emacs as su.

    Paul> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client is
    Paul> not authorized to connect to Server emacs: Cannot connect to X
    Paul> server :0.0.  Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use
    Paul> `-d'.  Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set
    Paul> to permit connections from your machine.

A little while ago this started happening to me and others under
Debian's X setup.  I've added localhost to my 'xhost +' list in my
.xinitrc, and now programs run under other uid's in my X display work
fine.  It seems to me as if localhost used to be allowed by default, and
is no longer, but maybe something about userids allowed to use the
display changed instead.  I don't know if the change would be XFree86's
or Debian's; I can't find a changelog for xbase.

You could just add

 xhost +localhost

to your .xinitrc file, if you don't have any xhost commands there
already.  Jens has suggested "export XAUTHORITY=~paul/.Xauthority"; I
don't immediately know which method would be preferable.  The xhost
method would solve this problem for any userid, and wouldn't require
changes to any other config files to automate it.  On the other hand,
there could be valid security reasons not to do so--most of the machines
I've run X on have been single-user workstations, so I haven't had to
worry about inter-user issues like that.  Hope this helps,

--
Ed Donovan					ed@capecod.net