Re: Keeping old user directories

On May 27, Mark Glassberg wrote
> I wish to install the latest Debian package while retaining the /root and
> /home directories of my old a.out Slackware system.  Can I do this and, if
> so, what is the best way?

Disclaimer: this comes from memory; please check for yourself.

The Debian boot/root disks do not automatically mke2fs your partition of
choice, so you could do it like this:
- build the boot/root/base floppies and boot with them
- do not use the "initialize partition option"
- instead, choose "mount an existing linux partition", and clean that
  partition (except the parts to be saved) by hand
- close the shell, and continue with the regular installation process.

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch