Kernel freeze during install

I am trying to install Debian-1.2.10 and the kernel freezes during bootup at
the following point:

[my BusLogic KT445C host adaptor is detected successfully as scsi0]
Ux4F0: address 0x330 in use, skipping probe.
NCR53c406a: no available ports found
qlogicisp : PCI bios not present
eata_dma: No BIOS32 extensions present. This driver release still depends on it
o  Skipping scan for PCI HBAs

That's as far as it gets. This happens whether I just hit Enter at the boot:
prompt, or if I type "linux ether=10,0x300,eth0". I have made two boot disks
on brand new floppies and get the same behaviour.

Here is a summary of my hardware:
* BioStar VLB motherboard, 486DX2/66, 16MB RAM
* BusLogic KT445C VLB SCSI card (io=0x330, irq=11, dma=7); Ricoh CD-R drive
* ET4000 VLB video
* Promise VLB EIDE controller, Fujitsu 2.5GB IDE drive, fd0 is 1.44MB
* Soundblaster-16 (io=0x220, irq=7, dma=1/5) with sbpcd CD-ROM (io=0x230)
* 3com 3C509 (io=0x300, irq=10)

The copy of Debian is from the InfoMagic Linux Developers Resource April '97
edition, in directory /rex-updates/disks-i386/1997-01-18/

I know my system is OK because it runs Red Hat 4.1 without any problems, and
all the peripherals work fine. I think it must be something to do with the
monolithic Debian kernel and its hardware autoprobing.

Can anybody suggest which bit of hardware might be causing the problem, and
what boot parameters to give to stop the conflict?

Thanks...

Brian Candler.