Connecting to Novell network

I tried to follow this through the HOWTOs but I must have gotten lost.  I've
installed Debian on the computer at the office (the second place I installed
it), connected to a Novell network with an SMC EtherPower card.

The kernel is 2.0.27 with support compiled in for...

Networking
PCI bios
TCP/IP networking
IPX protocol
Network device,
Dummy net driver
PPP
SLIP
Ethernet -> EISA/VLB/PCI & on-board controllers -> DEC chip Tulip(dc21x4x) PCI
NCP filesystem support
proc filesystem support.

I installed most packages in net, including the ncpfs package.  On startup, the
card seems to be recognized with the following message...

    eth0: smc9332 (DEC 21140 Tulip) at 0x1080, 00:00:c0:cc:ad:f9, IRQ 11.

However, before I'm able to access the network drives, I'm told eth0 is down,
as in the following exchange...

    debian# ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=on
    debian# slist
    slist: No primary IPX interface found in ncp_initialize
    debian# ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.2
    ipx_interface: Requested device (eth0) is down.

Can something be missing?  The ipx files under /proc are empty and I can't find
an `ncp_initialize.'  DOS and NT on the same machine connect to the network
effortlessly, but I'd really rather do it from Linux.  In a possibly unrelated
matter, trying to pull down the Options menu in Netscape paralyzes the whole
system.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

--
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada