Re: ftp install problem

Ditto what Dale says re: the output from pppd ... are you actually
running pppd by hand or using the debian pon script?  I've found that
the scripts work quite well for me ... I suppose it depends on your ISP.

Also, even if you are connected via PPP, you still need to configure DNS
resolution.  That jumped out at me from your post ... have you ever
tried to connect to an IP address rather than a hostname?

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff