Re: Problem with telnetd ??? (fwd)

The "International" versions of PGP are illegal to use within the US,
due to a patent on RSA.  There are two alternatives.  If you are *not* a
commercial enitity you can use Viacrypt PGP.  See their web page.  If
you use PGP for individual use, non-profit, etc., you can use the "US"
version which differs from the "International" version mainly in that it
is linked against RSAREF, which has been deemed legal for use in the
United States.  However, RSAREF is slower than the RSA implementations
found outside the US, so that's why there's a different version.

Of course, you could say to hell with it and use whichever version you
like ... some people are pretty paranoid and only use the older
versions, because they fear a trap door.  I personally grabbed the
International version (2.6.3i) from Norway and linked it against RSAREF
from MIT.  I haven't heard of any backdoors, and I trust PGP.

There is a SSL telnet for Windows ... it's pretty poor, imho. It can be
found at ftp.psy.uq.oz.au, along with other fun things.  Datafellows has
a trial SSH client for Windows ... it's very nice (I'm using it right
now)  Odds are, I'll buy it, or talk the company into buying it :) See
"http://www.datafellows.com/f-secure"; for more info.

Sorry for the grammar errors .. it's been a long day.

Cheers

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff