Re: Terminal not powerful enough for SLang

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Richard L Shepherd wrote:

> >     Richard> Does anyone know how to fix the problem of trying to
> >     Richard> use a program (such as lynx or slrn) that uses SLang
> >     Richard> from reporting the error: Terminal not powerful enough
> >     Richard> for SLang and failing there?
> >
> > $ unset termcap
>
> Sorry to say but that doesn't do it either. Any other ideas? NB: It
> goes fine from a virtual console and an rxvt, just not an xterm. I'm
> guessing that it's the colors that an xterm is not capable of that is
> the problem.

Karl was right, except that the variable to unset is "TERMCAP", not
"termcap". sh variables are case sensitive.

If that doesn't work (it should), check what your TERM variable is
set to. "echo $TERM". in an xterm, it should be "xterm". If that is
set correctly, then check that /usr/lib/terminfo/x/xterm hasn't been
corrupted or erased or modified.

if TERM isn't set to xterm, type "export TERM=xterm" and try running lynx or
slrn again.  it should work now.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract