HTML in email

A sort of novice question:

I read my mail with pine.  Occasionally I get mail from this list and
from others that has HTML markup embedded within it.  What causes this?
Is it the sender's mail-enabled browser's problem or is it a pine problem
on the receiving end?  I sometimes use a mail-enabled browser and I
wouldn't want to unintentionally foist this PITA feature on anyone else.

Curiously, I tried to forward a recent example of this back to this
list for comment and when pine entered its edit mode--the html markup
disappeared!  I don't know what it would have looked like to the list
recipients if I had actually forwarded it with my questions/comments.
I'd appreciate anyone's insight as to what's going on.

          Kevin

PS to Pete Templin:  Lets see if this post makes it to the list--thanks
for all your help by the way.