Debian 1.3, kernel 2.1.39 and masquerading

Hi all:

I have a box which is currently functioning as an internet access point.
I have upgraded it to Debian 1.3 in hopes I could upgrade the kernel
as well. Currently this box is using kernel 2.1.2.

Every time I try to upgrade the kernel the masquerading does not function.
The network interfaces look OK. However when I enter route or netstat -r
I am missing my lo interface.

In a nut shell, when I boot from kernel 2.1.2 everything works well.
When I boot from kernel 2.1.38 (thats the last one I tried) my network
goes wacky. I have updated my modutils as well.

Are the configuration files (/etc/init.d/network, and ppp files)
interchangeable
between kernel versions?

Oh yea, all the kernel options to allow firewall, masquerading, arp, ip
accounting
have been selected in the kernel setup.

	regards,

	Peter