Re: Driver compiled under kernel 2.0.29 says it was compiled under 2.0.28

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Harmon Sequoya Nine wrote:

> Hi.  I have this alpha-release driver for a PCI ethernet card that I compiled under
> kernel 2.0.29 (my current kernel).  However, when I try to install it in the kernel with
> "insmod", insmod reports that the driver was compiled under kernel 2.0.28 and that
> it won't install it (at least not without a "-f" option).
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here?

Grep the source code for the "alpha-release driver" looking for "2.0.28"
(probably in a .h file) replace all references with the desired kernel
version. Sometimes this is handled with a version.c created at compile
time by a MakeFile. Look for the MakeFile.in to be the correct place for
the modification of the version number. It should then propogate into a
new MakeFile (you may need to delete the old one) and give the desired
results. Make clean, before the compile, should do everything necessary.

Luck,

Dwarf