Re: Installing TKnet - where to unpack it?

Message from Brent Hutto (Hutto@IBM.Net):
> I'm setting up my Debian GNU/Linux system "the hard way". By that I mean
> that I'm adding just the packages that I need, one at a time using the
> "dpkg" tool. It's worked OK for basic stuff like "man" and the Xwindows
> packages. So far, I like the control this give me over what goes on my
> system. It's a bit time consuming but that's OK.
>
> Now I'm ready to install my first non-package piece of software, TKnet.
> I've downloaded the tknet1_1.tgz file from the TKnet site onto a floppy
> and now I'm ready to install.
>
> Where is the "preferred" place to install TKnet? There's a directory
> called /usr/local/bin on my system. I believe I read somewhere that
> putting non-Debian-supplied software there helps in maintenance down the
> road one day. OTOH, I also vaguely remember reading that /usr/local is
> for software on my particular machine that isn't in a shared-mount
> directory such as /usr is in some workgroup environments.
>
> Bottom line. Where would be the most "standard" place to put that .tgz
> file and unpack it? And what reasons, if any, are there to even worry
> about where it goes? Maybe I'm just being paranoid (my understanding of
> Unix in general and Linux is particular is very lacking).

The standard way to do it, I believe is...

make a directory for it (say tknet1_1) under /usr/local/src and unpack it
in that directory...

Then move or softlink the binary and man pages to /usr/local/bin -
/usr/local/man/man? (replace the ? mark with the proper man section).

/usr/local/bin should only have binaries or links to binaries.

Using /usr/local makes it easier to keep track of the stuff you did
vs. the stuff the package manager (Debian) did....  Under the Linux File
Standard, distributions can't use local directories...they are there only
for your use.  For example, you should never delete a binary from
/usr/bin, but instead use dpkg/dselect.  On the other hand it would be
fine to do so from /usr/local/bin, because you know your the person who
put it there in the first place.

Good luck
-Sam

--
VA Research Linux Workstations        |  The World's Best Linux Workstations
                                      |	          Featuring RedHat
http://www.varesearch.com             |  Now offering VarStation II Systems
Sam Ockman - (415)934-3666, ext. 133  |     Based on the Intel Pentium II