Re: Cannot set up a NIS slave server

> "YP: can't find the master of (null): Reason: Request arguments bad"

I'm getting the same thing here, on my development machine
(libc6 2.0.3-3, nis 2.20-1).

The script /usr/lib/yp/ypinit calls ypwhich -m to get a list of
maps from the master for the domain.

$ ypwhich -m
[...]

All the other nis stuff seems to work OK.  (I'm running my development
machine as a client, not as a slave server presently)

This is evil.  My current slave server is still running Debian 1.2
(libc 5.4.20-1, nis 2.00-1) and gets the results:

$ ypwhich -m
amd.n tia
amd.master tia
netgroup.byuser tia
netgroup.byhost tia
netgroup tia
services.byname tia
rpc.bynumber tia
rpc.byname tia
protocols.bynumber tia
networks.byname tia
networks.byaddr tia
netid.byname tia
group.bygid tia
group.byname tia
hosts.byaddr tia
hosts.byname tia
passwd.byname tia
protocols.byname tia
ypservers tia
passwd.byuid tia

So if I upgrade my slave server to unstable, it would probably
kill my nis.  I'm going to report this as a bug.

I'm guessing that this may be a bug in the ypwhich or libc code.

Cheers,

 - Jim