Re: mgetty for PPP; Need help

Eugene Sevinian wrote:

> I have installed mgetty ( 1.0.0-1 ) and it works fine when I am dial-in
> from outside w95 machine. Now I tring to add PPP and here are
> the basic steps which were done:
>
> 1. Installing new kernel (2.0.27) with CONFIG_PPP=m

You didn't use 'make config' or 'make xconfig'? When you recompiled
the kernel did you make modules and modules-install? You know, the
PPP module depends on others (can't think of them offhand).

> 2. Then I edited Makefile in this way
> CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -pipe -DAUTO_PPP
> and slightly modified the policy.h

Did you need to compile from source? The stock binary includes
AUTO_PPP support.

> 3. Make; cp mgetty /sbin; rebot
>
> After this point I get the message
> "...S1, too fast respawning mgetty. Suspended for 5 min" or something
> like that. And that is all )-;

If mgetty is respawning, something larger than ppp is probably wrong--
it would never have a chance to take a login? Perhaps something you
did to the config is causing this. Did you change the config file?
Did you look in /var/log/mgetty/* for error messages?

> Hope that someone can help me to overcome this.

I'll try. I use mgetty/ppp all the time. Never compiled mgetty
myself.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com