LINUX SUPPORT FOR CABLE-MODEMS?

Hi all.

A "cable modem" has just been installed on my computer, and I would
like to use it under Linux:

1)  The card that was installed on my computer is a 10base-T (twisted pair)
ethernet card -- "Intel 82557-based PCI Ethernet card".  Does the Linux kernel
currently have a driver for this card?  On a fresh install of Debian, I did
not see a driver for this card listed in the driver configuration portion of
the install ...

2)  The cable-modem hookup supports dynamic IP-address assignment (though
I'm supposed to get the same IP address each time the modem powers on).
Is there a way to get the Linux ethernet support to "read" its IP address,
say, at boot time?

Thanks (very much) in advance for any info. :-)

-- Harmon