bus mouse not working under X

Hi folk, I have a bus mouse installed.  It does not want to work under
X.  In my XF86Config file I have protocal "BusMouse" and the device
having "msmouse" my choice are atimouse,jmouse, logimouse, msmouse,
psmouse.  I have tried all of these to no avail.  I catted each of the
devices the only one that seemed to work was msmouse.  It said to "try
again".  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Paul