Re: magicfilter entry for pdf files?

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Colin Telmer wrote:
> > I added the following two lines to my /usr/sbin/dj500-filter to print
> > pdf files:
> >
> > # PDF files added by MWB
> > 0       %PDF            pipe    /usr/bin/acroread  -toPostScript
>
> Would this not just transform the pdf input to ps output? Is magicfilter
> then smart enough to run this output through its postscript filter?

Yes, that's what is great about magic filter.

Incidentally, I found another message today:

> To make printing work from acroread, I had to add the following line
> /Default currenthalftone /Halftone defineresource pop
> at the end of the file /usr/share/ghostscript/4.03/gs_init.ps.

Great little patch, but I found that printing directly from .pdf files,
e.g.

  gs -sDEVICE=ljet2p -dFirstPage=2 -dLastPage=10 \
      -sOutputFile=<ofile> <pdf-file>

was broke.  Therefore I made made the above conditionally:

/Default /Halftone resourcestatus { pop pop }
 { /Default currenthalftone /Halftone defineresource pop } ifelse

This seems to suggest that the problem is a bug in Acroread, and not
gs, but the gs_init.ps file is a work around.

Mark