Re: Debian as a server.

Here at CFNI we have chosen Linux as our web server.  Granted, the
server has not yet seen high volume traffic but we've run a lot of tests
and are confident it will handle what we throw at it.  To date, we've
never crashed (knock on wood).  I attribute much of that stability to
the excellent quality of the Debian distribution.

I know of a web site that has been in production with *extremely* high
volume for the past few months.  They're running Slackware, and have had
few problems.  I dare say the problems they have had are due to a loose
nut behind the wheel.  The site is an *ahem* adult site, so has had its
share of attacks.

On the other hand, I am the hostmaster for midco.net (my day job).  We
run BSDI, and it's fairly stable, although I'm chasing down some
suspected problems with the SCSI adaptor.  Not having the source code
and a cast of thousands on a mailing list such as this one is something
I miss with BSDI :/  It also doesn't always act as I expect, coming from
Linux, but that's OK ... it's better than SCO.

The biggest difference is the price tag.  An unlimited BSDI 3.0 license
is $2995.  An unlimited Linux licenses costs about $0.  They're both
UNIX ... so things break now and then and maintenance is required.  I
have no regrets with choosing Linux for our small business.

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff