Re: PLEASE HELP! debian apache package wiped my /etc/httpd!

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Douglas L Stewart wrote:

> Argh.  I have an old Redhat system (3.x) that I've been converting to a
> Debian 1.2 system.  Everything's been going okay... until now.
>
> I just installed the apache package and it _WIPED_ my /etc/httpd directory
> calling it obselete, without prompting me to do so, and withing saving the
> contents anywhere.
>
> This is a _HUGE_ problem.  This machine is a production web server!
> Unfortunatley, there are no backups.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how I can possibly extract some of the
> configuration information from the currently running httpd's?  I don't
> have the status or info modules compiled in. :(
>
> Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  I can't believe it just
> wiped my /etc/httpd directory like that. :((((((((((((( The package should
> really be modified so it won't do that.
>
> -douglas

I don't exactly know how to do this but I've got some ideas.  If you're
lucky the httpd have still got the file open, which means it's still
physicly on the disk. You can use "lsof" to check for open files.  Then
you can check /proc/<PID>.

"lsof" also gives you the inode number for the open file. From this
information you should be able to write a "not so simple" program that
fetches the superblock and extracts the file. There might even exists
such a program?

/fax
--
+- Fredrik Ax -+------ Snailmail ------+-- Where to reach me on the net -+