Re: /home, /usr/local, / and /whatelse?

Brent Hutto wrote,
> Is there a "HOWTO" or something that outlines the current
> conventional wisdom about partitions? If not, can somebody clue me in
> as to what /usr/local and so forth are used for and why they might be

A good guide is the Linux Filesystem Structure (FSSTND) by
Daniel Quinlan.  There should be a link to this from the
debian webpage.  Debian's placement of files follow this
standard rather strictly.

> need fall in this category). I don't want a dozen partitions
> (wouldn't fit on my one 3.2GB disk anyway) but I also don't want to
> combine stuff that is hard to sort out later.

For my case, I have partitions for
/
/home/
/usr/local/

These was remants from my previous slackware experience.
With debian, I dun think I should need /usr/local/ anymore
since upgrading is simply dpkg'ing the new package.

--
Tan Wee Yeh		wytan@pobox1.com
Finger tanweeye@iscs.nus.sg for PGP public key.