Re: failed installation of 1.2 on thinkpad. Tips?

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Chris Hanson wrote:

> The most likely answer to your problem is that you should not use
> "floppy=thinkpad"; I didn't use it on the 760C.  Modern ThinkPads do
> not need that switch, only older ones, such as the trusty 755C I'm
> using right now.

I concur.  I loaded Debian 1.2 on my father's thinkpad 560 some months
ago.  I did not use the floppy=thinkpad switch, but the 1.2 rescue floppy
still did not work properly (the machine would say loading linux.... and
then reboot).  This same behavior occurred on some Toshiba laptops, and
it was traced to the fact that the kernel image is a bzImage instead of a
zImage on the newer rescue floppies.  I used the 1.1 install disks.
However, I strongly recommend that you try the floppyless installation
instructions if you have a DOS partition to which you can copy the needed
files.

Thanks.  Syrus.