Re: 'talk' does not work

Here  and you can see that hostnamecorrectly.
netsats's output is also looks like your's one. Unfortunatly I didn't
install
ytalk yet byt I think it worth to try because of lack of any other idea :)

crdlx2.sevinian:~$ netstat -a
udp        0      0 *:discard               *:*
udp        0      0 *:ntalk                 *:*
udp        0      0 *:talk                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:syslog                *:*

Regards,

Eugene

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Rick Jones wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 1997, Eugene Sevinian wrote:
>
> > As I know in order to allow some service to work I should
> > put corresponding string in /etc/hosts.allow and now it looks like :
> > in.ftpd: ALL
> > in.telnetd: ALL
> > in.rlogind: ALL
> > in.talkd: ALL
> > in.fingerd: ALL
> >
> > However everything is working but 'talk'. It hangs with:
> > [Checking for invitation on caller's machine].
> >
> > What did I do wrong? Thank you in advance,
>
> I don't think hosts.allow works that way.
> Example:
> ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
>
> Allows all hosts at domain foobar.edu except the machine named
> terminalserver to access your system.
>
> Try ytalk instead of talk and see if you get an error to the effect "host
> unknown".  If you do the problem may be that your hostname isn't being set
> at boot time.  I had this problem once and, if I remember correctly, talk
> froze at the point yours is but ytalk just returned the error I mentioned.
> Is your hostname displayed at your prompt?  If not and you haven't changed
> the prompt in .bash_profile, your hostname isn't set.
>
> Also check netstat -a and see if there is a line like the following:
>
> udp        0      0 *:ntalk                 *:*
> udp        0      0 *:talk                  *:*
>
> If not then the daemons aren't running.
>
> --Rick
>
> rickya@siservices.net

Eugene Sevinian

Cosmic Ray Division
Yerevan Phisics Institute
Alikhanian's Brothers str.2
375036 Yerevan 36
Armenia

Phone: 374-2-352041 (YerPhI), 374-2-344873 (aprt.)
Fax: 374-2-350030