gpm configuration and mc question

I installed gpm_1.10-2.deb and the installation script went into the
configuration mode.  After answering the configuration questions, it asked
if I wanted to change anything and I answered no.  Then it said:

Starting gpm

At that point the console hangs and nothing happens.  ps -ax shows several
processes related to the configuration still running.  /etc/gpm.conf shows
0 bytes.  If I kill the processes, the installation shows up as broken.

Also, mc seems to require libgpm.so.1  This isn't installed by mc or gpm.
What package contains it?  mc installed without any dependency errors, but
I get the message when trying to run it "can't load library libgpm.so.1".

Bob

----
                            AX.25:    w6swe@wb7tls.az.usa.noam
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen