Re: Debian at Home

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 1997, Matthew Tebbens wrote:
>
> > I assume that dial-up ppp can still be configured after I answer 'no'
> > to the network question ?
>
> I've set up many such systems, but off the top of my head, I'm not 100%
> sure.  I believe it goes as follows:  Answer 'yes' to the general network
> connection, then answer 'no' to the question of whether you have a
> continuous (i.e. ethernet) connection.  Then, as best you can, fill in
> info about IP address, gateway, DNS, netmask, machine name, domain name,
> based on information about your ISP.  If your ISP uses dynamic IP, then
> just make up an IP address.  Putting more than one DNS address used to
> cause a problem--I think it must have been fixed though.  BTW, a lot of
> this info might be in the Install doc in the disks directory at your ftp
> site.

Much of this won't even be asked during the install.  Just don't install
named (DNS,bind) or it will want to be configured and it sounds like you
don't need it anyway.

Just make your machine a forward only machine.  It will be asked during
the install.

Then setup your /etc/ppp.chatscript and /etc/ppp.options_out to dial the
right number, give the right uname and passwd, and use the right port to
access the modem.  Type pon and it should connect.

Hostname and nameservers must be set for a dial-up connection.
/etc/hostname and /etc/resolve.conf. Also set "hosts bind" in
/etc/hosts.conf

Most of this will be setup during the initial install via a script.

If you get stuck use "man" to read the man pages.  (i.e. man man shows the
man page on man command.  man bind shows the page on bind)

> > >Debian can be installed on an isolated machine without any (additional)
> > >problems.  During the "configure the network" step, you will be asked if
> > >your system is connected to a network.  Simply answer "no" and proceed.
>
> Syrus.
>
> --

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net