procmail / smail problem

It has been quite a chore getting procmail to run at all here.  No
success
at all with the .forward hack; any time it is run, the mail goes to
"nobody."  Anyway I managed to get procmail running after finding a clue
and hacking /etc/smail/transports like this:

# This is the Smail transports file, which gives details of how ...
# It was originally generated by `smailconfig', part of the Smail
package
# distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system
administrator.
# Hacked 5 May 97: redid "local"

local:	from, local, inet, return_path, driver=pipe; user=root,
	cmd="/usr/bin/procmail -d $($user$)"

smtp:	uux:	pipe:	file:	(all unchanged)

At this point the hope is that I replaced my local delivery agent with
procmail.  Therefore, according to TFM, it should run if the user has a
.procmailrc file.  Those look like this:

#Set on when debugging
VERBOSE=off

#Replace 'mail' with your mail dir
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

#directory for storing procmail log and rc files
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.filter

Now that is well and good, but it does not run!  Mail gets forwarded by
procmail to the user's account just fine, but the user's recipie does
not
get executed.

Additionally, any attempt to run procmail with -m (filter mode) simply
hangs up and does not run.  I suspect more smail hacking is in order.

Does anybody have a clue?

TIA!

--
dwiebold@cactus.org . . . . . . . . . This computer is RUNNING Linux!!