Re: ideas about moving Debian to another hard drive

On Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 "David B. Teague" <teague@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:
>
> > cp -ax certainly is much simpler than using find and cpio.  Is
> > there any option to cp (I can't find one) that would keep it from
> > copying /proc, like the -prune option in find?
>
> Isn't /proc a mounted file system, even if it is a pseudo file system?
> Doesn't that make x option (which prevents other mounted file systems
> from being copied) the solution to this problem?

     Apparently not.  I made a directory /newproc and tried cp with
the following results:

root:vc-6:~>cp -a -x /proc /newproc
root:vc-6:~>du -s /proc
0       /proc
root:vc-6:~>du -s /newproc
23936   /newproc

     I stopped the copy with ^C when I got tired of watching it sit
there, so /newproc might have grown larger if I had more patience.

> Actualy, I'm a lot more concerned with the problem of recursive copy in
> something like.
>  	cp -ax / /mnt  :(
>
> Seems that booting a rescue disk to do the actual copying is a solution.

     The x option _should_ prevent copying /mnt.  Before I learned
about the -mount option in find, I once tried a find/cpio file
transfer and was part way through the second copy of /mnt when the
disk became full!

     I have a small rescue partition that I have booted to copy one
file system to another, and a rescue disk would do the same job.

Bob