experiences during the installation of frozen

I installed dpkg-mountable from projects/experimental and installed
from a mountable partition.

I left it overnight and when arriving back the next morning was greeted
by the following messages:

attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=16, limit=2
Directory sread (sector 32) failed

Rebooted and this message never came back.  During the process of rebooting
LILO hung on LI which was solved by booting from the rescue and re-running
lilo.  (my guess is that some of these problems at least were due to having)

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdl.so.1
(no such file or directory, skipping)
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libf2c.i2.so.2
(no such file or directory, skipping)
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libf2c.so.2
(no such file or directory, skipping)

<igor> the ldconfig's messages are nothing to worry about
<james> that's simply because the symlinks are left dangling because the
          package was removed and not purged

first message went away after installing a new version ld.so.conf
2nd and 3rd messages kept repeating peridocally throughout the upgrade
(I had previously removed all my fortran stuff, being short on space)

gpm reports that it can't find /dev/ttyS0

unable to lock dpkg status file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
this means your system is messed up badly

menu-?? : Dpkg is locking status area: forking to background
and wait for /var/lib/dpkg/lock to become unlocked

<igor> and the dpkg lock problem is supposedly fixed in the new menu package
          version...

having checked no dpkg or dselect were running I deleted the file.
However the message still kept coming back. I saw it often, but then
again I ran dselect many times in order to get the configurations right.

When given the choice between xinit, startx, xdm, the script never allowed
me to choose and went straight into xdm mode.  Admittedly thats what I
usually use, but I had been toying with the idea of removing this.
That meant that I needed to do a C-A-F1 to get back to the installation
which might have less experienced users stumped!

<igor> jay:  however that startx/xdm problem should be reported <jay> the
computer was left in a completely unusable state at one point.
<jay> Everything remained unconfigured.
<jay> xdm was cycling in and out, whenever I logged in.
<igor> ouch
<jay> It was exceedingly difficult to enter the log9n, passwd and kill xdm ...
          took about 15 minutes....
<igor> yeah... this is bad
[undernet(dcc)] [19:10] #debian   :  6 members ( 0 chops),  0 bans (not op'd)
[][User: ] [On: ]  [Query: =undernet]
<jay> I think alot of the problems may have been caused by the root partition
          being full.
<jay> err ... having filled up.
<igor> oh
<jay> I'm not sure tho.
<jay> The good news is that once xdm was taken care of, a few cycles thru
          dselect cured most of the problems.
<igor> see, now you can't report bugs except that dpkg should know beforehand
          when the disk is going to fill up, but I believe there are several
          bugs already open on that topic...