Re: NIS problem, please Help

Richard Zoni (zoni@CS.UniBO.IT) wrote:
: Hello,
:
: we have a debian linux NIS server running on a 166Mhz Pentium with 64Mb,
: it serves a cluster of 20 debian linux boxes.
: We have very big maps (600 lines in passwd and 2 hundreds more in group)
:
: Our ypserv is consuming up to 90% CPU time,
: is it normal?

I have experienced the same. Remove the + entry from the /etc/group files and everything will be back to
normal. The /etc/group entries are not cached and each machine has to search through all of them via the
NIS server to figure out to which groups a user belongs. The debian scheme adds a group for each users
making the problem much more acute with debian.

We have solved it by copying the /etc/group to all the machines with a cron job at night.