fatal server error..

I am running Debian release 1.2 on my 586/133mhz...and trying to get
XFree86 up and going...  when I start up I get a message "fatal server
error: could not create audio connection block info" and the machine
seems to hang for quite awhile.  Obviously there's something I haven't
done here, but I'm still trying to get a handle on this stuff.

any suggestions out there?

TIA!!
--
Steve Morrill