Re: clear screen on logout

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Ryan Shaw wrote:

> i'd like the screen cleared on logout and the login prompt to appear at
> the top.  i've worked around this by using an alias in bashrc, but i'm

If you want if for every login, put a `clear screen' in your /etc/issue
like this:

clear > /tmp/banan
cat /etc/issue >> /tmp/banan
mv /tmp/banan /etc/issue

and don't forget to change the issue.net too, if it isn't a link to issue!

Alternatively, you can use `mingetty' instead of whatever getty you use on
local logins. Something like this:
in your /etc/inittab change the gettys to something like:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

and so on for as many virual consoles you'd like (not more than are
compiled into your kernel though..)

mingetty clears the screen before displaying the login prompt by default.
To learn more see `man mingetty'. I use mingetty for my local console.
Its advantage is the screen clearing but also it uses less memory than the
other gettys. Its disadvantage is that it is only for local logins, you
can't use it for serial lines (modems and such..).

I hope this solves your problem.

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]