Re: AccelX and Xfree together

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Chris Hanson wrote:

> You will need to install an XFree86 server in order to satisfy the
> package dependencies that require an X server.  Other than that, it's
> not important.  In the future, you will have to be careful not to
> update the XFree86 server package accidentally, because this will
> overwrite the AcceleratedX server.

Actually, it will not overwrite the AcceleratedX server, rather it will
just point the /usr/X11R6/bin/X link to the newly upgraded XFree86 server
(that may be what you meant), so whenever you upgrade XFree, all you will
need to do is to run /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/AcceleratedX/Xintall again to
recreate the proper link.

However, the reason I am replying to this note is regarding xdm. I always
use xdm and I have found that when you upgrade XFree, the server listed in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers is removed and you must put it back in by hand so
that xdm can start the server. I was somewhat confused about this at one
point so I thought I would pass it along. Cheers, Colin.