Re: fdisk problem - can't seek

Assuming you are using "cfdisk", the fdisk utility that is run as part of the
initial Debian installation (i.e. the 6 disks).

I had the same problem when I partitioned a large disk.  I particular I was
partitioning it into several logical partitions on the outer-most part
of the disk.  "cfdisk" did not like this and gave me the error you mentioned.

To solve this, what I had to do was "Execute a shell", which is the last item
on the debian installation sequence menu (i.e. the large menu you get when
performing an initial install, first item is "partition a hard disk, etc."

Then from the shell, I executed the old "fdisk" utility, which is a not-as-
nice-looking-but-sufficient precursor of "cfdisk".  It's use is self-explanatory
(type 'm' for help, etc.).

Incidentally, I was going to report this but forgot! :-(

Once you've partitioned with "fdisk" instead of "cfdisk", go back into the
Debian installation procedure by typing "exit" at the shell prompt.
DO NOT go into "partition a hard disk" at this point, since you've already
done it with fdisk, and you'll just get that cfdisk-error that you got
before.  Jusr move right on to the next step in installation.

Hope this works (did for me)!

-- Harmon