Re: INSTALL:dual-boot

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Pavel Galynin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rick Jones wrote:
> >
> > Dual boot is ok. I think just about all of us use it.
>
> So, do I use lilo, or are there any special tricks?
> And, before you ask, NO, I'm not just another lamer. If i had an ASM
> source to Win95, I would know how to do it. But I have no idea where
> win95 puts its loader. If it's MBR, then I'm in a lot of troulble.
>
> TIA,
>
> Pavel

[ more stuff deleted ]

I install LILO in the Linux partition boot record, and set that partition
active. This still lets you boot to Win95/DOS, but prevents you from
having problems with the MBR getting whacked.  Whenever you reinstall
Win95, it rewrites the MBR.  Rather than reinstall LILO everytime, I just
run FDISK and set the Linux partition active again.  Viola, everything is
back to normal.

Win95 keeps its loader in the partition boot record, as does DOS.  The MBR
merely points to the active parttion in this scenario.  I've also tried
this with FAT32 and OSR 2 and had no problems.

This setup is also great for OS/2 Warp and IBM's Bootmanager.

Cheers.

Nathan