dpkg Question

I've just read the man for dpkg and dselect, but my question is, is
there any way to use either of them to audit a system to find out just
what is there? I'm afraid my notes are not all that complete.(g) I've
got a full-blown Debian system here and its probably time to look at it
and see what I don't need and can safely remove.

Thanks,

Jim