Re: Help Compiling

> I downloaded the kernel source package for v2.0.30 planning to compile the
> new kernel for my machine so I could finally get sound support.  The
> readme mentions a make-kpkg (or is it kpkg-make, I tried both) and I could
> not find either in bo, contrib, non-free and it was included in the kernel
> source package like the readme said.
>
> I tried compiling it with the commands given in the original readme only
> to come up with errors.
>
> Any help would be appreciated in the matter.
> Thanks
>
> Jason
> jbi130@mail.usask.ca

You want the "kernel-package" package.

To build a kernel (from /usr/src/linux) you just run 'make xconfig'
or 'make menuconfig' or 'menuconfig'.

Then I usually copy the .config file to some other directory for
safe keeping, since I compile kernels for multiple machines.

Then just run:

make-kpkg -revision mymachinename.1 kernel_image

When it's done, you just take the created kernel package out of
/usr/src and install it wherever you want it.

Pretty slick.

Cheers,

 - Jim