Problems with SMC ethernet card setup

Hello everyone,

I am getting "eth0:mismatched read page pointers 0 vs 1" when I ifconfig eth0
"online" and this continues until I ifconfig eth0 down.  These are continous
and repeated errors to console.  I have an SMC 8416T at port 220 and interupt
10 (both of these values are correctly autoprobed when I install the smc-ultra
module; in fact the internet address is also correctly reported).  The system
is the base system only (base1-4) of Debian 1.2 (running kernel 2.0.27).
smc-ultra is v2.00.  I am running on a 486DX50 (ISA bus).  My network
connection in DOS is fully operational, reporting the same port # and irq.
DOS says the card is at address 0xC800.  The net configuration was done "out
of the box" with the native Debian utilities on the "Rescue Disk."

Where is the configuration hicupping?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Ballin
ballin@chem.wisc.edu