Some minor post-install TUNINGs

     As I told in my previous posting, I think Debian is great.
     But this does not imply that only _gurus_ may want to use it. It took
some time to me to find out how to do some tunings after installing from
scratch, nothing so important but anything unuseful I think.

     Here I give four attachments. Probably most readers on this mailing
list can do better, but here I am.

  1) Some lines which I decide to let survive both from the Debian default
     /etc/profile and from the one I have in an old Slackware (August
     '95); they provide setup
     - to show the current dir path in the shell prompt,
     - to have colors (red for gzipped) in files lists from ls (if going
       directly to a terminal, not e.g. to less or grep or a file) plus
       the eventual symbol for the file type (@ link, * executeable... so
       it is already ok also for a monochrome terminal),
     - to have less as a pager for man and to have ascii output from
       man (good - almost here - both in text mode console and in xterm
       sessions, otherwise in the former some strange characters are
       shown).

  2) ls colors, to be set up be a call done by the previously attached
     sample /etc/profile script. It comes from Slackware August '95.

  3) Done here under Debian 1.2.4, performs some tuning of X and fvwm2
     OVERWRITING FILES, so please create some dir such as /looking/ and
     "untar" staying in it, and give a look comparing what YOU have and
     what is going to overwrite it, not only links to null.hook
     (nothing-doers, predispositions for plug-ins) but also Debian default
     files which you might already have modified, e.g. you may want to
     save your own /etc/X11/Xresources file and then overwrite mine, which
     is the Debian 1.2.4 default + lines I also copied to
     added-to-Xresources.cat, and finally add those lines to YOUR file
     with a command such as 'cat added-to-Xresources.cat >> Xresources'.

     Colors are rather dark and with not much contrast to minimize
     eyestrain (almost here with this pretty good display, otherwise if
     they are too dark to well read then take it as a hint on where to
     change those colors).

     - The desktop background color and a first xterm instance have been
       left to each user's ~/.xsession file (NOT ~/.xinitrc, which should
       take care of ANY of the actions otherwise performed by the global
       xinitrc file, which is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, actually a link
       to /etc/X11/Xsession; that clever script looks both at the
       system-wide and at the user's Xresources and Xmodmap files, and at
       the user's ~/.xsession file, and takes care of resources merge).

     - Xresources has been added default colors for emacs (grey on black
       instead of black on white) and default colors and font for xterm
       (grey background, 7x14 font). Notice that some xterm settings such
       as scrollbar presence are left to the invocation done by
       ~/.xsession or via the fvwm2 menu and will not be automatically
       "inherited" by xterm instances eventually coming from typing
       'xterm &' in a scrollbar-fournished xterm session.

     - The fvwm2 mouse-button-1 menu has been added "shell" and
       "screensaver"+"screenlock" popups. This has been done using the
       "hooks" in /etc/X11/fvwm2/.fvwm2, not modifying what is in
       /etc/X11/fvwm2 (notice that /etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook is
       "maintained" by the Debian install/deinstall procedures; great
       Debian, great idea those hooks). The screensaver/screenlock modes
       are the ones currently (Debian 1.2.4) mentioned in the help given
       by xlock.

  4) The last attachment is only useful (if not as a [bad?] hint) to
     PC users with an Italian keyboard. I had to fix correspondence of a
     few keys and I just used the Xmodmap way because could not find what
     to change after reading this in XF86Config:

     Section "Keyboard"
         Protocol      "Standard"
         AutoRepeat    500 5
         Xkbkeycodes   "xfree86"
         XkbTypes      "default"
         XkbCompat     "default"
         XkbSymbols    "en_US(pc102)+it"  <----------
         XkbGeometry   "pc"
     EndSection

     If I've put any mistakes before posting the files please don't miss
to notify to me!

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.
# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for bash(1).
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:"
# PS1="\\$ "

# export PATH PS1

ulimit -c unlimited
umask 022

if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/pdksh" -o "$SHELL" = "/bin/ksh" ]; then
 PS1="! $ "
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
 PS1="%m:%~%# "
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
 PS1="$ "
else
 PS1='\h:\w\$ '
fi
PS2='> '

export PATH PS1 PS2

set up the color-ls environment variables:
if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
  eval `dircolors -z`
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
  eval `dircolors -s`
else
  eval `dircolors -b`
fi

export XNLSPATH="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls"
# This var ^ has been suggested by the config script of the debian
# package 'motifnls'.

alias ls='ls --color=auto -F -T 0'

# alias man='man -P less --ascii'
alias man='man --ascii'
export PAGER=less

# Configuration file for the color ls utility
# This file goes in the /etc directory, and must be world readable.
# You can copy this file to .dir_colors in your $HOME directory to override
# the system defaults.

# COLOR needs one of these arguments: 'tty' colorizes output to ttys, but not
# pipes. 'all' adds color characters to all output. 'none' shuts colorization
# off.
COLOR tty

# Extra command line options for ls go here.
# Basically these ones are:
#  -F = show '/' for dirs, '*' for executables, etc.
#  -T 0 = don't trust tab spacing when formatting ls output.
OPTIONS -F -T 0

# Below, there should be one TERM entry for each termtype that is colorizable
TERM console
TERM con132x25
TERM con132x30
TERM con132x43
TERM con132x60
TERM con80x25
TERM con80x28
TERM con80x30
TERM con80x43
TERM con80x50
TERM con80x60
TERM xterm
TERM vt100

# EIGHTBIT, followed by '1' for on, '0' for off. (8-bit output)
EIGHTBIT 1

# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color init
# string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
# Attribute codes:
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
# Text color codes:
# 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
# Background color codes:
# 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white
NORMAL 00	# global default, although everything should be something.
FILE 00 	# normal file
DIR 01;34 	# directory
LINK 01;36 	# symbolic link
FIFO 40;33	# pipe
SOCK 01;35	# socket
BLK 40;33;01	# block device driver
CHR 40;33;01 	# character device driver

# This is for files with execute permission:
EXEC 01;32

# List any file extensions like '.gz' or '.tar' that you would like ls
# to colorize below. Put the extension, a space, and the color init string.
# (and any comments you want to add after a '#')
.cmd 01;32 # executables (bright green)
.exe 01;32
.com 01;32
.btm 01;32
.bat 01;32
.tar 01;31 # archives or compressed (bright red)
.tgz 01;31
.arj 01;31
.taz 01;31
.lzh 01;31