Re: ISDN Support

Kevin Traas writes:
 > > I have a Motorola Bitsurfr Pro (external).  It works fine under Linux;
 > > it looks like a modem.  (It has a zillion AT commands.)
 >
 > Thanks for the info.  Just a couple of questions.... <grin>
 >
 > What type of serial port do you have?  16550?  How fast are you running the
 > serial connection?   Higher than 115,200bps?  Do you connect at 64K or 128K
 > or either?

(Apologies if I should have replied privately rather than following up.
I'm not sure if anyone else on this list is interested...)

Until recently I just used the built-in serial ports, which are 16650a
limited to 115000 bps.  I have recently bought a Byte Runner card and
am talking to the Bitsurfr at 230400 bps.  Have I noticed a big
difference?  No.  I've started trying some tests, and will switch back
to 115000 and see if it I can measure any difference.  There are
typically delays at so many points its hard to get consistent results.
Subjectively (very!) 2 channels are faster than 1, but not twice as
fast.

When I connect to work I always use 2 channels (if I can, sometimes it
only connects with 1; I'm not sure why).  Since when connecting to my
ISP I have to pay per-channel per-time I often connect with just 1
channel.  Since I have a static address and ISDN connect time is quite
fast compared with an analog I can disconnect and reconnect
differently (e.g. to download a large file I might switch to 2-channel
operation).  My connect file sees if a specific file exists, and based
on that connects with 1 or 2 channels.

>From what I have read, an ISDN router is a much nicer route to go,
but costs more;  at least 50% more and up (way up).

The Linux Journal usually has an ad for an internal ISDN board
with drivers for Linux;  Spellcaster -  http://spellcast.com .

> Canada probably has a National ISDN protocol of it's own....
No, I don't think so.  I live in Canada and my Bitsurfr is working!
Actually,  there is one model of Bitsurfr for Canada/US,  and another
for elsewhere (or is it just Europe?  I'm not sure).

> One thing I'm interested in is configuring things so that I can
> establish a 1 or 2 B channel connection on demand.  My ISP supports
> Multilink PPP; therefore, I'd like to set things up so that if I
> know I'm going to be needing all the bandwidth I can get, I'll
> establish the connection using the two B channels.

I think many routers can change 1 or 2 operations on the fly, but I'm
not sure.  An ISDN-card might let you (especially if you had the
source to the driver!!!).

> (It would be great if the Linux box could be set to timeout after a
> period of bandwidth "saturation", drop the single B channel
> connection, and then reconnect using both B channels....)

You might be able to hack diald to do this.  However, if your ISP
assigns you a dynamic IP address you might run into problems.  With a
static IP address you can drop the connection and call back (within a
limited time) and still talk to the telnet or ftp session.  With a
dynamic address the other end would think you were a different person
and so you'd lose your connection.  I think.

Richard.