Re: dselect/dpkg daydreams

Brian Wrote:
> Finally, Debian could really benefit from a kind person riding up on
> a big white 30G drive and giving them a enough space to store
> a journal of older .deb files (maybe this already exists somewhere?),
> and optimized binary distributions for different intel processors.

The only problem is that all the mirror-operators will have
to pray real hard that some equally kind person come riding
up to them with an equally sized drive.

Since this is unlikely to happen with most of the mirrors less
a few really well-known ones, we will either have to download
less-optimised code anyway, or overload debian.master with all
our ftp requests.

> (Yes I know there isn't a huge performance difference in some cases
> but it would definitely be a selling point to some.)  Or heck,
> even someone selling CDs with optimized binaries would be great.

I'mnot sure how great performance hit the optimised codes will
make but the costs may not justify it...

--
Tan Wee Yeh		wytan@pobox1.com
Finger tanweeye@iscs.nus.sg for PGP public key.