Re: Memory Gobbler

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Harmon Sequoya Nine wrote:

> Don't know if this relates to the question, but...
>
> I was looking at how to recompile the kernel to get it to recognize
memory above 64M
> and it said you should have at least 512K of cache to do this...
>
> -- Harmon

Hum,
I would be surprised if linux had such limitations.
I've read that Intel's 430HX (the chip for Pentium motherboards) can't cache
memory above 64M (in april's  c't ).
But linux would still see the memory. It would only be slow.

I think it's normal that the OS uses all the memory after a few hours.
As long as there is free memory, it'll cache all disks accesses. An with
an http server...
We have a server here with 64M, and it uses a lot of cache :

hermes, a P 100 under linux :
bash> free
Mem:         63460      62680        780      15672      27964       9796
-/+ buffers:            24920      38540
Swap:        20124         56      20068

Now, and never understood the ouputs of free, so I can be completely wrong.

Note that I only have 16M on a 486, so I don't know much about these
problems... I find it interesting, that's all.

BTW, why all this memory ? Is it always for network services, or could it
be useful for desktop computers too ?

Alexandre