Soundblaster and the kernel

Geoff R Deasey writes:
 > Thanks for all the help, I did recompile the kernel and made the modules.
 > however I ran into a little problem, cc1 was not found in the path.  I
 > manually added it to the path (strange that it was not in the path).

Do you mean "cc1" as in the compliler's cc1?  It shouldn't be in the
path,  you shouldn't be accessing it directly;  it's location is
built into gcc.

 > I noticed that there are 2 places to define modules
 >
 > /etc/conf.modules
 > and
 > /etc/modules
 >
 > which one should I use ?
 >

>From man depmod(1):

CONFIGURATION
       The  behaviour  of  depmod and modprobe can be adjusted by
       the (optional) configuration file /etc/conf.modules

Whearas /etc/modules contains the names of kernel modules that are
to be loaded at boot time.

See Documentation/modules.txt in the Linux source for more infomation.