Re: two problems

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to help someone put Debian on a Pentium 90 and we've run into
> the following problems with (1) ethernet card configuration and (2) trying
> to make a boot floppy.
>
> The ethernet card is an Intel Etherexpress 16 ISA card. It apparently has
> an IRQ of 11 and io address 0x300. The kernel seems to recognize this at
> boot time and loads eth0. It says something about autoloading of modules
> not being recommended for this card but, other than that, everything seems
> to go fine. If one tries to use the ethernet card with dselect, ftp, etc,
> it will either refuse to work at all or it will give the following error:
>
> eth0: CU Wedged, Status 0240 0000, Resetting...
>
> The machine will then ftp to the requested address (or telnet there)
> mixing normal text with the above error. Eventually (within about 5
> minutes) the system will hang and needs to be rebooted.

The Intel EtherExpress 16 card does not work with Linux.

Someone should really update the Hardware compatibility HOW-TO,
and the driver should be pulled from the kernel, IMHO.

I had two of these, and I had to chuck them.  They're so old that
they are practically worthless anyways.

If you read the source code in the Linux kernel, you'll see that
the code that prints "CU Wedged, Status 0240 0000, Resetting..."
is just a really bad hack, and that the author couldn't really
figure the card out.

Maybe if you wanted to do some investigation -- you could get the
documentation for the hardware from Intel and try to rewrite
the driver.  This would be tough-going though, the card is pretty
old so finding documentation would be difficult.

It's probably much easier to just replace it.  You can get good
network cards that work for approximately $25 nowadays.

Cheers,

 - Jim