Re: Emacs keys differences between console and X

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Rick wrote:

> Activating meta in X is in the XF86Config file.
Here is an extract from my /etc/X11/XF86config:

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

    LeftAlt     Meta         # this line was commented out before
#    RightAlt    ModeShift
#    RightCtl    Compose
#    ScrollLock  ModeLock

I deleted the `#` before "LeftAlt Meta" according to the hint of Rick
but it didn't help. The answer to <Alt>-x is only `beep` end I have
to type <ESC> x anyway.

By the way: what do I have to read to learn more about the purpose
of `ModeShift`, `Compose` and `ModeLock`?

Thanks to Rick, but are there any mor hints

   Andreas.