Re: Will the real vi please stand up?

> > >      It is generally agreed that any Unix user should be able to use
> > > vi, regardless of which editor he prefers to use regularly.
> >
> > Apparently the people who generated the debian rescue disk don't agree
> > or the recent editor wars wouldn't have happened on this list.
>
> The main problem was that any of the vi-clone were too big for our
> small boot/root disk.  That's all of it.  This won't be changed I
> believe.  End.

Then how about packaging up a utility to build a 'real' rescue disk
and making the install procedure suggest that you run it before
you exit?  Everyone really should have a floppy around with the
filesystem tools, fdisk, tar, and (of course) vi so they can
recover from any normal problem.  I've done this myself with the
'yard' utility (and needed it too...) but it takes too long for
everyone to figure out what to do by themselves.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com