Re: Will the real vi please stand up?

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, mike horansky wrote:

> >      It is generally agreed that any Unix user should be able to use
> > vi, regardless of which editor he prefers to use regularly.

> It is generally agreed in the computing mainstream that that kind of
> assumption willkeep unix out of the hands of the common
> computer-user. Of course, some unix gurus actually want this.

The first editor I learned under Unix was vi, and God I *was* a
newbie.  The right way to do it is teaching everyone the Mighty ed!
The good thing about ed is that it works under *every* terminal.  Vi
works under most of them.  If you want to use Emacs, you'd better find
a terminal which handles Meta correctly and has Del in the canonical
place (above Ret or something like that).  Better yet, find a good X
terminal (to get those nice menus).  I just love compatibility.

> Assuming that the Debian folks don't have this agenda, and assuming
> that there isn't room for two editors, keeping ae on the base disks
> is a good idea. Pico, minus the line-wrapping, would be even easier
> to use, but I see it's about 6 times bigger.

BTW why ed is bigger than ae?  That's really weird.

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        23656 Nov 13 20:32 /bin/ae*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        68300 Jan 31 01:45 /bin/ed*

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected