dump or taper for backups?

Hi,

I am getting ready to start backing up my production Debian GNU/Linux
boxes and I am considering both dump/restore and taper as my backup
software.

I would like to know which program Debian users recommend me to use.

I am a little bit concerned about using dump since I read this in the
changelog file in /usr/doc/dump:

        I remind you that dump and restore should be considered as software
in BETA test.  Don't rely too much on them for your backups...

This is not very promissing, is it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Eloy.-

--