EXMH question

Hi all,
I'va an annoying problem with exmh: it won't sign my messages.
After I change path to .signature in "Preferences" it [usually,
but not always] complains about "bogus execute permission on
.signature" once, and then just silently refuses to sign e-mail.
I've played with .signature's permissions (file's created by sigrot,
BTW), exmh settings and currently I'm out of ideas.
( My other messages to the list are .signed -- with "More" + "Insert
file". )
Suggestions, anyone?

Dimitri