lprng problem

I decided to set up my printer on my Linux box so I installed lprng
(3.2.1-1) and apsfilter (4.9.1-10) and installation seemed to go without a
hitch.  But I can't print.  Looking at the log in
/var/spool/lpd/bj200-letter-auto-color reveals entries like the following:

tail: -d/var/spool/lpd/bj200-letter-auto-color/lock: No such file or directory
[Total: 1 page on 1 sheet]

Needless to say there _is_ a file by that name in that location.  Its
permissions are 0600 owned by lp and group lp.

Is there something I'm missing here or is this a misleading error message?

-- Jaldhar