using shadow

I know that /etc/passwd must be readable by world but if shadow passwording
is used can /etc/shadow be set to only read/write by root.

How do I setup shadowing, I know there is the libpam package but other than
that I'm basically lost.

--
Jason Killen                                     Question Stupidity
Ma ma's don't let your babies grow up to be Linux hackers