root disk

What does the root disk do these days? When I first installed 1.1
you used the boot, then the root, then the base disks. Last night
I did a fresh 1.2.0 install from some mid-December disks;
the root disk was never used.

Some other things I did notice; they've probably been fixed but
I'll say them anyway just in case;

* If reading the drivers disk fails (mine was faulty),
  it won't ask you to do it again;

* The drivers list display was a bit corrupted; the module
  names did not appear for some modules until I moved over them, etc.
  Very strange.

(December disks, not necessarily the current ones.)

thanks,
Hamish

--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.