windows incompatibility

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Rick wrote:

> I found a PNP FAQ and double checked at usr.com.  It seems that PNP modems
> with emulated uart's (what an idea) are totally incompatable.  This
> "Winmodem" will only work with windows (not even DOS).
>
> By the way.  I did do all that.
>
> I'm going to repost this under a WARNING subject.
>
> Another attemp to make M$ a monopoly?!?  I hope this doesn't start a trend!

 i have a similar problem with a printer.  a few days ago, someone asked
 me for help printing a TeX document.  She knows nearly nothing about
 computers (can just use it if it works).  For her masters thesis she
 bought a HP Deskjet 820C.  In my country they sell that idiot thing for
 more than $500. After reading the manual and doublechecking by calling
 HP (another $10, "fast service"), I concluded that this thing only works
 under windows programs.  under a 'dos box' (not even under plain dos) it
 emulates pcl (haha!), but now, after hours of trying, at least 20
 general protection faults and 15 reboots i can only say that it seems to
 be a pcl-dialect that is not compatible with dvihplj.  So lost $500.
 printer *useless*.
 i also spent 5 hours reinstalling win95 because printing incompatible PCL
 causes the printer driver to destroy the system registry...  Normal
 reinstall was impossible. i finished using fdisk.

it becomes really necessary to inform users that 'windows'-hardware is the
worst choice possible, only making M$ monopoly and making good programs
(tex) unusable.  I welcome all warning postings.

Jan